Historic Metamora, Indiana 1838 Canal Town

Facinating Buildings In Metamora

The Metamora Historic District is significant because it was created as a town served by and to serve the Whitewater Canal.  Metamora is a collection of nineteenth century buildings and structures, most of which was constructed during the period of 1838 and circa 1865 when the canal was an active commercial thoroughfare.  A few building were constructed or remodeled after the canal period when Metamora functioned as a local trading center served by the railroad and the highway for transportation and served by the canal as a power source for the mill industries.  The villages collection of structures reflects the association with development of transportation in Indiana in the decades before the Civil War.

The Metamora Historic District's significance is apparent as it contains portions of three historic thoroughfares: road, canal, and railroad.  The oldest is the road.  The Brookville Road connecting Indianapolis and Brookville was established by the Congress on March 3, 1821 to extend mail service to the state's new capitol in the interior from the bustling, established town of Brookville.  The latter was founded in 1808 and grew in importance in 1819 when the Congress created a federal land office for the sale of land in central Indiana after the New Purchase Treaty of the previous year.

New businesses and housing, oriented to the automobile and the highway developed along U.S. 52 away from the old town along the old route.  The historic buildings of Metamora suffered neglect but changed very little until the late 1960's when tourism began to be developed.  The houses and stores served as a backdrop to the Whitewater Canal State Memorial created in 1945.

 

Church Banes House

 

      

History

Directions

Area Attractions

Videos

Town Map

FAQs